Bobby and Alli here from Traveling Newlyweds, letting you in on a little secret. We may talk about how we came to Sun Valley to ski… but we really came to eat. The food in this little romantic town is absolutely incredible, and every place has a story and an ambiance that’s out of a movie!! While it’s nearly impossible to narrow down our favorites, we’ve compiled a list of our top ten favorite places to dine in Sun Valley!
1. The Pioneer Saloon - If you’ve been to Sun Valley before, chances are you’ve dined at The Pioneer Saloon, and chances are you waited in line at least forty five minutes to do so. (It’s that good!!) Built in the 1940s, The Pioneer Saloon is a hopping spot for locals and visitors alike, and famous for their prime rib. The Western decor and friendly ambiance makes it quite the experience, and their food really is amazing. We ordered as we were directed and were not disappointed - the prime rib and the Jim Spud (the biggest potato you'll ever see). Come hungry... they have big portions, and everything is hearty!
2. The Round House - Fondue by the fire? Say no more! Located at the top of Baldy, it’s quite the experience! We recommend going for a late lunch (they close at 2pm) and ask to be seated by the fire. Take off your boots, warm your toes by the fire, and brace yourself for some of the best fondue you’ll ever have. Warning… you may not get back on the slopes due to food coma. It will most likely be time for a nap.
3. Grumpy’s - Hands down the best bang for your buck, and a true “local” institution! Grumpy’s is the perfect stop after an afternoon of skiing. Grab yourself an ice cold beer (after gawking at the wall of empty beer cans), a cheeseburger, and a seat at the bar. You’ll be making friends and swapping stories in no time!
4. Lizzy’s Fresh Coffee - Tucked away in a little strip mall, Lizzy’s is the best-kept secret of Ketchum/Sun Valley! Their coffee bar is only open Monday-Friday 8-11:00 AM, so make sure you plan accordingly. Lizzy’s distributes their coffee to several restaurants and shops around town, so you can catch a glimpse of the roasting process as you sip your coffee. We had a blast chatting with Lizzy herself - she’s the sweetest!
5. Trail Creek Cabin - This is quite possibly the most romantic date to have in Sun Valley. You can take a horse-drawn sleigh to the historic Trail Creek Cabin for a 3 course dinner. Every element was picture-perfect, from the incredible starry sky on the sleigh ride, the cocktails that warmed us up, and the delicious meal. We highly, highly recommend doing this… But dress warm, the sleigh ride is cold!
6. Sushi on Second - Because sushi is ALWAYS a good idea, and this local favorite is one of the best!! We recommend making a reservation in advance, and come hungry - as everything on the menu is good! One suggestion would be to explore Ketchum one afternoon, get active with some ice skating at Christina Potter’s Ice Rink as the sun sets, and build up your appetite. We loved the laid-back ambiance of the restaurant, and how friendly and helpful everyone was. Make sure you order their home made ice cream for dessert!
7. Konditorei - This cozy little breakfast spot will have you feeling as though you transported to the Swiss Alps! They boast amazing coffee (they serve Lizzy’s!), to-die-for baked goods, a huge selection of hot sauces (be careful) and tons of healthy options too! This was one spot we wished they had in California - we’d be regulars!!
8. Enoteca - We’re big Italian food fans, and Enoteca blew us away. We ordered a pizza and a pasta and split them, and everything was amazing. The vibe is modern and clean - perfect spot for a date night! Definitely make a reservation, as it’s one of the most popular restaurants in Sun Valley!
9. Warfield Distillery - After an afternoon on the slopes, nothing sounds better than a whiskey cocktail! Warfield Distillery has some of the best drinks in town, and they actually make their own gin, vodka, and beer! No matter what your cocktail of choice is, they have it and know how to make it well.
10. Wiseguy Pizza Pie - If you’re spending the day exploring Ketchum (we had just strolled through some local art galleries) and need a little pit stop, Wiseguy is our recommendation. We’re not sure what the deal is with their crust - but it is INSANE!! We were passing by and rarely say no to a good-looking pizza pie, so we agreed to share one slice. We took one bite and instantly ordered another (and Bobby was begging for a third). It’s SO good. Go. And thank us later.
There are so many other great restaurants and bars in Sun Valley that we can’t wait to check out next time we visit. If we’re missing any of your favorites, comment on this post and let us know!! We’re already compiling a list for next time! :)